Mathematics 6 Course Profile

Blended Learning Course Profile

I am excited for the opportunity to participate in a project that can benefit both myself and my studentsAs I design a mathematics course I look forward to exploring a variety of educational technology tools and creating an educational experience that is both innovative and applicable to the student’s needs.  

Target Audience 

My course design is for grade 6 students aged 11 and 12. It will align with the Saskatchewan Mathematics 6 Curriculum

Course Timeline 

Designed to run over a four week period with the flexibility to be adapted according to teacher and student needs.  

Course Format 

This blended course will use a combination of synchronous and asynchronous learning. Instructional videos will be a feature to access in both synchronous and asynchronous opportunities with technology being integrated throughout to support learning within a classroom. The course format can work predominantly in a classroom setting, however can work successfully in a virtual environment as well. The initial module will focus on Fractions, ratios and percent with the hopes of adding further modules over time.  

Course Technology 

Our school division uses Office 365 and features Microsoft Teams as the main tool for blended instruction and learning. To remain as useful and familiar as possible, Microsoft Teams will be the main delivery tool and Class Notebook will be featured to manage material, provide collaboration spaces, and store instructional videos and instructions. Although not an LMS, Teams along with OneNote and other tools, will combine to adequately support this course delivery.  

Other tools that will be utilized will include: 

Current class set-up includes one-to-one technology access and this course will be built with that set up in mind. Laptops will be the featured device with IPads and mobile devices also being used at times. If virtual distance learning is requiredstudents without access will be provided appropriate technology by the school division. This technology has already been set aside and prepared for delivery if required.   

Course Content 

This course will focus on Fractions, Ratios, and Percent from the numbers strand of the grade 6 Saskatchewan Mathematics Curriculum.  

Outcomes to be covered include: 

N6.5 

Demonstrate understanding of percent (limited to whole numbers to 100) concretely, pictorially, and symbolically. 

N6.7 

Extend understanding of fractions to improper fractions and mixed numbers. 

N6.8 

Demonstrate an understanding of ratio concretely, pictorially, and symbolically. 

Assessment 

Students will be assessed using a variety of educational technology tools. Microsoft Teams will be used to turn in and return student work for the sake of teacher feedback. Class Notebook will be used with the intent of journaling and self-reflection. Other tools that may be used for assessment include: 

• Microsoft Forms for quick check-ins and immediate feedback 
  • Flipgrid for video demonstration of learning 
  • Microsoft Teams synchronous meetings with breakout rooms for small group observation 
  • Microsoft Whiteboard for teacher and student collaboration/demonstration of learning 

Accommodation Considerations 

With diverse learning needs, a variety of adaptations may be required. Students will have access to Immersive Reader with Microsoft Teams as well as Class Notebook. Text to speech is also available and could be an invaluable tool for students journaling. Utilizing the closed captioning features of YouTube will also be important for English as Additional Language students and may also create a bridge for students with poor audio on personal tech devices. 

Featuring assessment options that include video creation through technology such as Flipgrid may help provide an alternative option for students who struggle with putting thoughts in word form. Having the flexibility to choose a format that works best for each part of the module is a benefit of blended learning in this course design.  

Attendance 

Course content will be accessible through Microsoft Teams from anywhere an internet connection can be found. Course design is for delivery in the classroom; however, if students are required to be at home or the school is closed and virtual learning occurs, all course content will be accessible with a device and WIFI. Synchronous meetings will be an important part of both face to face and virtual learning and will be scheduled according to situation.

Rationale 

Our school division supports and promotes Microsoft Office 365 and leans on Microsoft Teams as the key cog in virtual and blended learning. Due to the importance of these tools, I feel it is important to center my course around them. As for course content, Most of my classroom time is spent instructing math and I have always felt that my math instruction often fails to utilize tech tools for full exploration and demonstration of mathematical concepts. Having a blended course in math, allows students at all levels to learn at a unique pace and access a variety of learning tools that provide the right fit for their learning needs. I chose fractions, ratios, and percent as a focus area due to the common struggles students have in learning these concepts and by building on blending learning course it provides an opportunity for a diverse and flexible path to understanding these outcomes at varying speeds, pathways, and learning levels. There is also many different tools I am already aware of and hopefully many others I will learn about, that can be effective in a blended learning model to learn fractions, ratios, and percent.

If anyone has any suggestions or tips that could be added to the course design I would love to hear it. The number one reason I enrolled in this course was to learn from others and I look forward to hearing any experiences you have with blended learning or online tools you may have successfully used for math instruction.